- This easy-to-use, up-to-date, comprehensive guidebook is the essential companion for visitors―sightseers, hikers, swimmers, surfers, campers, birders, boaters, and anglers―who want to explore California’s fabulous shoreline.
Many of California’s most alluring attractions are found along the coast from San Francisco Bay to Monterey Bay: Alcatraz Island, San Francisco’s waterfront, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and Point Lobos. The book describes some 350 shoreline destinations, including every known publicly accessible beach along the coast of Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, and Monterey Counties. It also lists wildlife reserves, marinas, and public parks, and includes descriptions of plants and animals, places where dogs are welcome, nature centers, aquariums, and much more.
The guide features:
• 53 color maps that show topography, roads, trails, bicycle routes, and other features
• 299 color illustrations
• Sidebars on shipwrecks, railroads, aviation, and other aspects of California.
• Descriptions of geologic formations, wildflowers, tide pools, and beaches
• Information on recreational outfitters, whale-watching trips, surf shops, and more